Monday, July 20, 2009

Everything changed at that moment

Camp Connell, CA -- And forty years ago today, Astronauts Armstrong and Aldrin walked on the surface of the moon.
Very late that night, after filing numerous stories via Western Union from my desk in the press center at NASA's mission control center near Houston, I went outside for a moment alone.
I looked up at the moon, shining over Texas.
It was so unreal to think that a quarter-million miles away human beings were taking a walk on a foreign body. I just stood there and soaked it in.
I think I should go outside tonight and do it again, just to remind myself that such triumphs are possible.
Feel free to join me.
I may even howl while I am at it.

(FOOTNOTE: I tried, but couldn't find the moon for the forest. I know it's still there.)

No comments: