Thursday, August 13, 2009

Un-Greatful Dead

(picture courtesy of National Geographic)

Camp Connell, Ca -- Logic tells me, when I am swimming in the ocean, that sharks may live nearby but they don't really want to eat me.
But I could never get past the idea of them looking up at me, wondering if I would be stringy or tender.
And now I live in the forest with bears and mountain lions and other creatures, like spiders.
So I really appreciate this official list of how many people die by various critters that many of us fear. Note that the most dangerous is a Bee/Wasp. We have lots of those.


Average Number of Deaths per Year in the U.S
Bee/Wasp 53
Dogs 31
Spider 6.5
Rattlesnake 5.5
Mountain lion 1
Shark 1
Alligator 0.3
Bear 0.5
Scorpion 0.5
Centipede 0.5
Elephant 0.25
Wolf 0.1
Horse 20
Bull 3

I am always careful around dogs and horses anyway.

Cautiously yours,

Sanders

2 comments:

Ruth G said...

Centipedes are poisonous??!!!!!

A Bit Of Everything said...

Returning from my mothers, and the Meat Bees are out in full force! Mom was bit twice, but she has retailated (sp). She purchased many bee traps. It's working, it's working!